Thursday, September 6, 2007

Scariest Moment of the Debate?

Here is a comment from Mitt Romney advocating the wiretapping of mosques:

And I hear from time to time people say, hey, wait a second. We have civil liberties we have to worry about. But don't forget, the most important civil liberty I expect from my government is my right to be kept alive, and that's what we're going to have to do.

But isn't that an argument for any and all violations of civil liberties? Is it ok for police to search random houses? Sure, according to Romney, because it might keep us alive - the most important civil liberty, against which all other civil liberties can fall. It would have been nice to have one of the Fox News panelists ask him which civil liberties are inviolate.


1 comment:

pammy said...

The problem is, he is setting the bar a little low. Call me greedy, but I gotta hope for more from my country than"alive". In fact, I think, if we all check our contracts, we may find that we are entitiled to demand life AND liberty AND the pursuit of happiness. Any politician who finds it too mentally taxing to balance the 3 is guilty (at best) of a crippling lack of imagination.